Thursday, September 6, 2012

Oh, baby gate.

Lots of us have kids or dogs, unless you are like me and have both! I hate for our kids to be in kitchen area. There is way too much that can go wrong. I also did not want them in our breakfast nook either. (I use it as my sewing room) The problem with that is, it is at a weir angle and pretty big in length. We looked at a few different baby gates, but I was just not going to pay $100 or more for a baby gate. SO when I came across a tutorial for a fabric baby gate made out of PVC, (at http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com) I was excited, until I realized it would not work how she did it. (I do not have stairs) So I have altered it a little bit to mount it to our walls! What you need: Sewing machine or no sew adhesive Fabric (I used a curtain I had laying around) PVC- Will depend on your length (we bought 5 pcs of 5ft & the joints to connect them, 4 corner joints & 2 T joints) PVC adhesive Brackets, screws & anchors Handsaw First I measured, on the outside corners of the walls and divided it in half. (I divided it because I wanted a bar in the middle for extra support from our kiddos) Then I measured how tall I wanted the gate to be. (I wanted mine to be stationary and not more, so I made it a comfy height for me to just step over)I marked all the pieces where they needed to be cut and then cut them. After that I jointed them together with the PVC adhesive.
This is what they look like all put together...
I measured how big I would need the fabric round it to be and then added 1" for my seams and little extra room.
I pinned and started to sew. I sewed three of the seams together, left one of the short sides open and slid the gate into it. I had my husband hold the gate up while I sewed the last side shut. (thinking on it now, I should have used Velcro on the last side so you can take it on and off for washing, but oh well.) I then cut slits in the fabric in three spots on each side for the brackets to slide through. Mounted it to the wall and LOVING it!!! It cost us a total of about $20 and 30 minutes time! What a deal! Good thing about PVC is it can be any shape you need it to be as well!

2 comments: